There are just some things that we should all learn right away. Leadership skills are definitely among them. At Legion, we believe that there are several lessons on business and leadership that every professional should know.
• Apologize: Too many people hesitate to say that they are sorry when they make a mistake or hurt someone else. Own up to your fault, apologize, and try to find a solution.
• Be Honest About Not Knowing: No one knows everything. Yet so many professionals try to mask this. Be straightforward when you don’t have the answer to something.
• Think Before Acting: While action is important, so is consideration. Try to make evidence-based but timely decisions at all times.
• Don’t Teach Something You Don’t Know: This should be a no-brainer. Nonetheless, many people break this rule. Don’t train someone if you don’t fully understand the subject.
• Ask Personal Questions: This doesn’t mean you should grill people on their most intimate secrets. Simply ask them how they are doing along with general questions about their personal lives.
• Get Comfortable with Failure: Failure happens in business. Consider it an opportunity to learn something new. This will set you on the path to success.
• Hire for Potential: Don’t worry about always finding the perfect fit for a role. Instead, aim to find candidates that will go far in your organization.
These simple tips on leadership should inform every professional’s actions and attitudes. At Legion, we teach every new team member these ideas to ensure that they perform with excellence.